Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Naadham en jeevanae... 1

Nowadays, i m getting too religious. And the religion is Illayaraja.

I think that should give you at least a faint idea about how utterly biased this post is going to be!!! ;) In a way, this is just another hymn on the Raja. Of course, this post is not going to add anything. In fact, I still wonder if i have anything to add. It is just that I wanted to reflect on my rediscovery of Illayaraja. And what a discovery it has been!!!

Before i get too prayerful, let us get some facts straight.

My knowledge of music is zilch. In fact, only now I am trying hard to learn to distinguish between different instrument sounds. And I don't really intend to learn any music.

As any average 25 something tamilian, I too grew up listening to IR right from my nenavu therinja days. And as happens to folks coming from other parts of Tamilnadu to Chennai, once i was in Chennai for my B.E., i too was very much into listening engileesu songs, partly out of my curiosity and partly out of necessity. After all, one's music tastes is more a matter of life/death than just personal choice: apparently you got to know at least a couple of lines from popular english songs or not even a single gal would bother to have a second look at you.

And just like any self-respecting guy, brought up on the heavy dosage of 101 Sure Ways to Get a Girl, tried and time-tested by each and every hero in tamil-film history, I too set up on the Mission Mr.Peter. Ethana padathula paathurukkom: Paattu paadi paalum karappanga, appdiyae ponaa poguthunnu micha timela sidela nikkara figarayum madipaanga. So, armed with such deep knowledge of the female psyche, there I was among the many poor souls who spent more time listening to the incorrigible english songs more than to our lecturers. That those lectures were even more mysterious is another issue anyway. Boys la varra Bob Gaali (played by Barath) maathiri oru koottame suthittu irunthuthu. I am quite positive that you can find such souls on any planet, any time.

Inspite of all that I told till now, my music tastes were quite exotic, at least it appeared so to me at that point of the time. I have had my own share of rock to heavy metal, carnatic: Sudha Ragunathan, Bombay Jayashree, world music: from Peter Gabriel to Yungchen Lhama, instrumental: Yanni, Joe Satriani, Kenny G and Indian maestros like Zakir and AmjadAli Khan, pop: MJ, Dr Alban and all those bands of boys and gals, Enigma, Snap etc. Ok ok avlo thaan niruthitten... ippo kooda ithellaam sollalaenna epdi!!! ;)

So, ippo naan enna solla varraennaa... "Yaamarindha mozhigalile tamil mozhi pol inidhavathu engum kaanom" nu Bharathi sonna mathiri, "Yaamarintha isaiyinile ilayarasa pol inidhavadhu engum kaanom". Ithukku thaan avlo buildup.

One might argue all this craze for IR is just classical conditioning, just like the famous case of Pavlov's dog. "You hear so much of IR's music that you associate parts of it with events in your life. It is this associative process that makes you identify yourself with IR's music and therefore love it." Some Freud disciples among you might say "The root of your love for Illayaraja is in your disturbed ;) childhood" and try deconstruction. "It is a process of slow hypnotism: the more you listen to it, the deeper it gets into your subconsciousness. Your love grows from that subconscious association."

Though all this and a bit of nostalgia might play a part, the reason is much more than just a rusted memory playing back the notes heard long ago. It is not out of a dark, hidden pit of subconsciousness that my love for IR grows, but it springs out of complete awareness and bliss.

Like Krishna says in Gita: all you need to get to God is to remember, one fine evening, I started remembering. And finally, I ARRIVED, as the mystics say, and I found that my long and tiring journey had ended exactly where I started - Illayaraja, the treasure in my own backyard that I had forgotten and lost in my vain search for The MUSIC outside.

Once I reached home, I find no need now to look outside. By saying this, I m not trying to belittle the skills of the so many musicians that i have come to really enjoy all along the way. It is just that now i am indifferent to others. Now, I have IR, nothing else matters.


If nothing else feels like coming home, then listening to IR is coming home for me. Now, tell me where your home is?

P.S.
Naadham innum olikkum.... ;)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Grrtt post... Can feel you fascination for our maestro.. wouldnt be surprised if a temple for him crops up sumwhere (would hold the record after our dear kushboo) and no prizes for guessing whoz dream would be fulfilled at tht time.... and kudos for unearthing the missing link between music and a disturbing childhood. on a serious note - a veyr well written post refelcting your deep rooted passion for music and for our maestro...

Sasidharan Theerthagiri said...

WAS good. But one sincere request dont keep the post too long. make it short n crisp. No one has time to go thru in this fast moving world. wat say u DON?????

Unknown said...

$ thnx a lot Prash!!
btw i hv already built a temple for my dear IR... en idhaya kovilil moolavar avar thaan... ;)
... over dialogue thaan... inevitable effect of overdose of tam films.. hahaha

$ absolutely Mr.Bond!!
but th pbm is as indicated before, with a overdose of tam films, at least 14 reel ottalaenna oru aathma thrupthiyae kedaikka mattaenguthu... ;) hahaha

KC! said...

enga ponalum enna aanalum the roots are the place things will come back to..vazhga ilayaraja, valarga avar tunes. Well written!

suri said...

nice post, i was listening to him (raja)on jaya tv on pongal day. his sense of simplicity , his enjoyment of teh art and his positive feel for teh crowd made it an instant hit and an amazing experience

Sara said...

Just like the lines " Puthu raagam paadaipathalee naamum iraivaaneee". He is god to people who want to get hypnotised.Once you hear you can't stop listening to him again just like falling in love.
No better chanting and he deserves it.He has enlighted many hours of mine and showed me music utopia.

Athallam okay.. athu ennaa self marketing naadvulaa ..okay okay.. naadakatum !!!( I dont know who the target audience are.. !!!)

Naan othukiraan neegha smartaa irukinghaanu athukaa ithu ellam konjam over(courtesy your photo!!)